Press "Enter" to skip to content

‘Should be arrested’: Boxing farce eviscerated

Seal Media Group, Australia

The American boxing legend was utterly embarrassed in Sunday morning’s bout with former UFC champion Vitor Belfort, suffering a TKO defeat in the first round.Holyfield’s previous professional bout was back in 2011, and there were plenty of concerns about his age and condition heading into the contest.Unsurprisingly, the Florida crowd witnessed no more than a shadow of the great boxer that terrorised rivals in the late 1980s.Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >He looked completely out of his depth, hardly landing a punch in the 109 seconds of action.Early in the bout, Holyfield slipped through the ropes after taking a wild swing that caught nothing but fresh air.He was then knocked down by a vicious upper cut before the referee was forced to wave off the bout, knowing the Hall of Famer didn’t stand a chance.It was an act of mercy from the referee – he potentially saved the former heavyweight world champion from serious injury.The Florida crowd booed the stoppage, but video replays showed how forcefully the punches had landed.Holyfield pleaded after the fight: “I‘m not hurt … I think it was a bad call.”But boxing pundits agreed that this was a gross mismatch.Back in 2004, New York boxing authorities ruled that Holyfield could no longer compete in the state due to “poor performance and diminished skills”.Yet 17 years later, he’s still competing in professional bouts.Sports reporter Mark Gottlieb posted: “Everyone involved in this disgraceful farce should be ashamed of themselves.”Popular sports columnist Arash Markazi tweeted: “Evander Holyfield is turning 59 years old next month. He hasn’t fought in 10 years. He wasn’t scheduled to fight as of two weeks ago. Whoever sanctioned this should be arrested.”The bout had been moved from Los Angeles’ Staples Center to Florida after California boxing authorities refused to sanction a battle between the Brazilian mixed martial arts star and Holyfield.Former US President Donald Trump said in commentary: “You could see right from the beginning he was not the same fighter.“He had lost a lot. That left jab was very slow.“We said from the first minute you could see immediately that that was not Evander. There was no snap.“It’s so unusual to see because we have watched him for a big part of our lives just win.”Holyfield won 1984 Olympic gold as a light heavyweight and went on to dominate the professional cruiserweight division before entering prize fighting lore as a heavyweight.He’s best known for a championship heavyweight run that included two wins over Mike Tyson, a win over George Foreman, and one win over Riddick Bowe in their punishing trilogy.Holyfield (44-10 with two drawn and 29 knockouts), accepted the Belfort fight on eight days’ notice after Oscar De La Hoya tested positive for Covid-19.– with AFP

Other News:   Democratic Amnesty for 8 Million Illegals in Budget is ‘Unprecedented and Dangerous’: FAIR

Continue Reading Article…

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *