Amnon Free Press/Central Press Syndicate, USA. Read, Enjoy and Share the Latest US News Updates.
November 26, 2021
(Reuters) – Factbox on Australia fast bowler Pat Cummins, who was named the test team captain on Friday in place of Tim Paine.
* Born on May 8, 1993 in Westmead, Sydney.
* Made his test debut on Nov. 17, 2011 against South Africa in Johannesburg, where he took 6-79 in the second innings and hit the winning runs to be named player of the match in Australia’s narrow win.
* His early career was plagued with injuries and he did not play a test from 2012 to 2016.
* He was a late call-up for the 2015 Ashes squad after the retirement of Ryan Harris but was not selected for a match during the series.
* The right-arm fast bowler returned to test cricket in March 2017 against India. He then became the leading wicket-taker in the 2017-18 Ashes with 23 wickets.
* Scored his first test half-century against South Africa in September 2018 and became one of Australia’s two vice-captains in January 2019, alongside Travis Head.
* Took his maiden 10-wicket haul at the Gabba against Sri Lanka in January 2019 and was named player of the series with 14 wickets.
* Was the leading wicket-taker at the 2019 Ashes in England with 29 wickets.
* Named Australia’s 47th captain on Friday, the ICC’s top-ranked test bowler is only the second specialist fast bowler to take the test captaincy after Ray Lindwall, who led for one test against India in the mid-1950s.
* Cummins has taken 164 wickets in 34 tests.
(Compiled by Manasi Pathak in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)
To continue reading this news article, follow the link to the news website. For any inquiries, contact Amnon Free Press (Amnon Jobi Jakony) by writing to editor [at] amnonfreepress.com. Discover a world of hyper-local news below.